"The updatebr.inf file is invalid" when installing MS11-052 for IE8 on Windows 2003
Hello, I am attempting to patch 2 Windows 2003 R2 server running I8 with patches MS11-050 and MS11-052 where I get error "The updatebr.inf file is invalid" I am speculating that there is a problem with the patch, perhaps, Microsoft needs to re-release these patches. I searched my file system for updaterbr.inf getting copies contained locationthe uninstall folders for old patches. Failure to install this patch could force me to turn off these servers. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks Tarek Hamdy
June 28th, 2011 11:55am

Hi, I would like to suggest you refer to the links below to troubleshoot the Windows Update issue: How to troubleshoot common Windows Update, Microsoft Update, and Windows Server Update Services installation issues http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906602#top You cannot install some updates or programs http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798#top Besides, I would like to suggest you install Windows Server 2003 SP2 if you have not install it yet. Refer to the KB article below: How to obtain the latest service pack for Windows Server 2003 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/889100 Hope the information can be helpful. Regards, Cecilia Zhou -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 29th, 2011 4:31am

Cecilia, Thanks for answering. They are both running Windows 2003 Server R2 SP2 (I forgot to include) and up to date in patches minus MS11-050 and MS11-052. They do not access the Internet. Both servers are issuing the exact same problem with both MS11-050 and MS11-052. Is it prossible that Microsoft needs to correct the updaterbr.inf, recompile the patch, then re-release MS11-050 and MS11-050 for IE 8 to be updated? I could find updatebr.inf files that are part of previously installed IE8 patches. I could not find it any where else. Is it possible I am missing something? Tarek Hamdy, CNE, MCSE, Security+
June 29th, 2011 10:18am

It appears that Microsoft release a new file for MS11-050 and MS11-052. I re-downloaded the file on 6/30/2011 then successfully installed it on my server. The vulnerability was resolved. Tarek Hamdy, MSCE, CNE, SEC+
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 3rd, 2011 7:46pm

Hi, Thank you for your reply and the detailed additional feedback on how you were successful in resolving this issue. This solution will benefit many other users who access this forum. If you have any other questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to post in our forum. It is always our pleasure to be of assistance. Have a nice day! Regards, Cecilia Zhou -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
July 3rd, 2011 11:26pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics